- Year of Establishment: 1965
- Head of the Dept: Prof. Manish Chandra Verma
- Contact No.: 0641-2501722
- Built Up Area: Main building: 9380 sq. ft.
- Level Of Study: M. Sc., Ph. D.
- Sanctioned strength of students: 40 (General) + 2 (BPL) = 42
Courses Offered (.pdf file)
MAJOR FOCUS AREAS:
TEACHING / RESEARCH : SPECIALIZATION
- Respiratory and Circulatory Physiology of Fish
- Assessment of Freshwater Environment
- Physiology of Fish
- Endocrine and Reproduction in Fish
- Diseases of Fish, their Prevention and Control
- Environmental Mutagenesis
- Population Genetics
- Karyosystematics of Fishes
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: The Department was established in 1965, under headship of Dr. V.Sinha under the leadership of Prof J.S Datta Munshi and nurtured by succeeding HOD, Dr.S.P Sinha, Dr.J.Ojha,Dr. J.N Singh and Dr. S.P.Roy received a reputation as centre of excellence by UGC. A modern and thorough knowledge of Zoology is imparted to M.Sc students along with four specialization, which is at par to many central University. Researches are being carried out in different fields viz.fish morpho-anatomy, Toxicology, Biochemistry, Ecology, reproductive biology, Cytogenetics and Karyo-systematics effect of herbal products on reproductive physiology, hematology and genotoxicity etc. Every year some students qualify in the NET/JRF exam.& work as Research scholar in the department. Students of this department are working in different institutes/department in different capacities.
FACILITIES: Laboratories with research microscopes, fluorescence ,microscope, spectrophotometer, electrophoresis, incubators, bomb calorimeter, Single cell ,gel electrophoresis, Museum, pond and tanks.
At a Glance
ADVANCED FACILITIES :
- Engaged in teaching and research since its inception in 1965.
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.Sc. (Previous) : 42
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.Sc.(Final) : 42
- No. of books in the Department Library : 3127
- Journals/Periodicals Subscribed by the Department : 3
- Workshop/Symposium Organised : 2 – International, 5 – National
- Computer facility available.
- Ratio of students to teachers : 6:1
- Admission on the basis of Honours marks and admission tests.
- Ph.D. Registration on the basis of M.Sc. (Final) result, Pre-Ph.D. Exam Test, Presentation of research theme and seminar, held twice a year.
- Advanced facilities available – Animal house, Aquarium house, Medical Plant Garden, Pond for aquaculture, ultratome, NMR etc.
- The UGC considers the Department as the Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Research. The UGC considers the Department as the Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Research.
- Collaborative Researches are continuing with:
- Memorandum of Understanding has been signed with Rajendra Memorial Institute of Medical sciences, Patna for research work.
- Many of teachers collaborate with other Universities Like DD University, Gorakhpur, BHU, Varanasi, BRA University, Muzaffarpur,etc. in terms of lectures and talk.
- Collaboration with Bose Institue,Kolkata.CDRI, Luknow,AIIMS,Mahavir Cancer Institute patna, RMIMS Patna
- Different special papers : Endocrinology, lchthyology, Cytogenetics and Entomology
- No. of Research Papers Published: More than 500(200 International,300 National)
- No.of Projects Completed : about 50
Department has the credit to grow under the pioneer leadership of Prof. J. S. Datta Munshi, FNA, FNASC and his school of talented scientists and research students. The outstanding contributions of the team are :
- Assessment of various aquatic resources of Bihar with identification of bio-indicators and their functioning.
- Preparation and evaluation of vascular corrosion cast replica of gas exchanges along with modern stereological methods for information on the structure of gas exchangers blood volume, haematocrit and ambient medium blood barrier thickness for evaluation of gas transport.
- Scanning and transmission electron microscopic identification and evaluation of the effects of pathogens/pollutants on aquatic organisms.
- Reptilian and mammalian reproductive biology and developing methods for early detection of pregnancy and control of fertility with the use of LDH-Y isolycts.
- Monitoring the effect of Xenobiots on the genetic material.
- Basic researches on blood acid-base regulation, water and electrolyte metabolism and compartmental analysis of body fluid systems and ionic distribution in fishes and crustaceans, eco-physiology, applied endocrinology, hematology and fish embryology.
- Bio-ecology and productivity of aquatic insects and control of aphids.