- Year of Establishment: 1965
- Head of the Dept: Prof. Manish Chandra Verma
- Contact No.: 0641-2501722
- Built Up Area: Main building: 9380 sq. ft.
- Level Of Study: M. Sc., Ph. D.
- Sanctioned strength of students: 40 (General) + 2 (BPL) = 42
Courses Offered (.pdf file)
MAJOR FOCUS AREAS:
TEACHING / RESEARCH : SPECIALIZATION
- Respiratory and Circulatory Physiology of Fish
- Assessment of Freshwater Environment
- Physiology of Fish
- Endocrine and Reproduction in Fish
- Diseases of Fish, their Prevention and Control
- Environmental Mutagenesis
- Population Genetics
- Karyosystematics of Fishes
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: The Department of Zoology is one of the oldest Departments of the faculty of Science in the state of Bihar. After the existence of the University on July 12, 1960 the Post-Graduate teaching in Zoology was started at T.N.B College, Bhagalpur in the year 1965 under the academic leadership of Dr. Vishwanath Singh initially with three special paper viz. Ichthyology, Cytogenetics and Entomology as special paper. Dr. Jyoti Swaroop Datta Munshi, FNA, FNASc as Professor and Head, the Department came to its independent existence as Post Graduate Department of Zoology. Under the able guidance and leadership of Prof. Datta Munshi the Department flourished and reached to its greater heights in teaching and research. Thereafter another special paper for M.Sc. course as Comparative Endocrinology was introduced in 1972.
The Department is located in a sprawling campus expanding in 362925 sq. ft. with total area of the building is 99080 sq. ft. and laboratory area is 4200 sq. ft. In addition to this, there is a museum, aquaculture tanks, cisterns, Smithsonian laboratory, insectry, reptilian house and a natural Hathkatora pond for fish culture. The Department can boast of its museum as one of the best Zoology museums in the state of Bihar. We have some rarest of the rare specimen in the museum.
The Department has achieved global recognition after the scientific research collaboration with the most sophisticated and renowned Universities in the field of Animal Sciences. Such collaboration universities are, Bristol (UK), Notre Dame University, Indiana (USA), Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi University (UP), India. Results of such collaborations have been published in various journal viz. Journal of Anatomy, Anatomical Records, Hydrobiologia, Cannadain Journal of Zoology, Japanese Journal of Ichthyology, J. Env. Path. Toxic. and Oncology (USA). The Department has received financial assistance from NSF, Smithsonian Institute, USA, and PL-480 supported by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi. The academic activities of the department is closely watched and strictly evaluated by UGC since 5th Plan period.
Comments of NAAC Committee:
The research program of certain department like Botany, Zoology have increased the visibility of the University at National and International levels.
The extensive study of the ecology, structure, function and evolution of air-breathing fishes of North-Bihar has been carried out during the last 45 years. the functional morphology and ultra-structure (TEM and SEM) of the gills of teleostean fishes, accessory respiratory organs of fishes and gills of aquatic insects have been throughly investigated. The angio-architecture in air-breathing fishes have also been studies.
Researches in Cytogenetics ar being carried out on environmental mutagenesis and bioantimutagens, population genetics, karyo-systematic of fishes of the Ganga and Koshi river systems. Attempts have also been made on the substances that minimize the expected xenotoxicity. The result of this laboratory have been published in International Journals of with impact factors.
Researches on Entomology are done on taxo-eco-physiology and behavioral biology of aquatic insects, bioenergetic, tasar silk production using phytoecdysteroids and phytojuvenoid (JH) analogues, pests of vegetables and pulses, biological control of pets especially Aphids, Mealybugs, Coccids with emphasis on the culture and manipulation of predators, parasitoids and parasites.
Researches on Comparative endocrinology are carried out on the structure and function of the endocrine glands of fishes, reptiles and mammals. Presently works on the enzyme assays using Electrophoretic techniques, antifertility and contraception in mammalian system are under progress.
FACILITIES: Laboratories with research microscopes, fluorescence ,microscope, spectrophotometer, electrophoresis, incubators, bomb calorimeter, Single cell ,gel electrophoresis, Museum, pond and tanks.
At a Glance
ADVANCED FACILITIES :
- Engaged in teaching and research since its inception in 1965.
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.Sc. (Previous) : 42
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.Sc.(Final) : 42
- No. of books in the Department Library : 3127
- Journals/Periodicals Subscribed by the Department : 3
- Workshop/Symposium Organised : 2 – International, 5 – National
- Computer facility available.
- Ratio of students to teachers : 6:1
- Admission on the basis of Honours marks and admission tests.
- Ph.D. Registration on the basis of M.Sc. (Final) result, Pre-Ph.D. Exam Test, Presentation of research theme and seminar, held twice a year.
- Advanced facilities available – Animal house, Aquarium house, Medical Plant Garden, Pond for aquaculture, ultratome, NMR etc.
- The UGC considers the Department as the Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Research. The UGC considers the Department as the Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Research.
- Collaborative Researches are continuing with:
- Memorandum of Understanding has been signed with Rajendra Memorial Institute of Medical sciences, Patna for research work.
- Many of teachers collaborate with other Universities Like DD University, Gorakhpur, BHU, Varanasi, BRA University, Muzaffarpur,etc. in terms of lectures and talk.
- Collaboration with Bose Institue,Kolkata.CDRI, Luknow,AIIMS,Mahavir Cancer Institute patna, RMIMS Patna
- Different special papers : Endocrinology, lchthyology, Cytogenetics and Entomology
- No. of Research Papers Published: More than 500(200 International,300 National)
- No.of Projects Completed : about 50
Department has the credit to grow under the pioneer leadership of Prof. J. S. Datta Munshi, FNA, FNASC and his school of talented scientists and research students. The outstanding contributions of the team are :
- Assessment of various aquatic resources of Bihar with identification of bio-indicators and their functioning.
- Preparation and evaluation of vascular corrosion cast replica of gas exchanges along with modern stereological methods for information on the structure of gas exchangers blood volume, haematocrit and ambient medium blood barrier thickness for evaluation of gas transport.
- Scanning and transmission electron microscopic identification and evaluation of the effects of pathogens/pollutants on aquatic organisms.
- Reptilian and mammalian reproductive biology and developing methods for early detection of pregnancy and control of fertility with the use of LDH-Y isolycts.
- Monitoring the effect of Xenobiots on the genetic material.
- Basic researches on blood acid-base regulation, water and electrolyte metabolism and compartmental analysis of body fluid systems and ionic distribution in fishes and crustaceans, eco-physiology, applied endocrinology, hematology and fish embryology.
- Bio-ecology and productivity of aquatic insects and control of aphids.