- Year of Establishment : 1954
- Head of the Dept. : Prof. Pawan Kumar Poddar
- Built Up Area : 2500 sq. ft.
- Level Of Study : M.Com., Ph.D.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
University Department of Commerce & Business Administration established in the year 1954. That time this department was under Bihar University. In the year of 1962 it is part of the T.M. Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur. Our founder Head was Prof. C.D. Singh an eminent Professor and Pro-Vice Chancellor, Magadh University, Bodh-Gaya and Vice-Chancellor, L.N. Mithla University, Darbhanga. It is one of the oldest Departments not in the region but the whole of undivided Bihar. This Department has the credit of spreading commerce education in the state of Bihar and Jharkhand.
Teachers of our Department officiated as different capacity.
- Founder Head of the Department. Dr. C.D. Singh- Pro-Vice Chancellor, Magadh University, Bodh-Gaya and Vice-Chancellor, L.N. Mithla University, Darbhanga.
- Former Head Dr. M.L. Sharma, Pro-Vice Chancellor, T.M. Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur- 812 007
- Present Head Prof. P.K. Poddar served as Pro-Vice Chancellor of Nilamber-Pitamber University, Medininagar (Daltongon) in Jharkhand. He has also officiated Indian Muay Thai team in World Championship at Bangkok in 2007.
- Former Head Dr. V.L. Srivastava- Founder Head, Ranch University, Ranchi
- Former Teacher Dr. Gopal Lal- Head, L.N. Mithla University, Darbhanga.
- Former Head Prof. A.K. Saha, Head associated with UGC, NET, UPSC, AICTE, ICA etc.
In the field of higher education in commerce, alumni of this Department have made their presence in sizeable number in Govt. Jobs Banking and Industrial Sector. A separate building with all modern facilities is about to complete for MBA course adjacent to present building of the Department. Our MBA course is assessed by the leading group Business today and ranked within top 25 Business school of Eastern India in two consecutive year i.e., in 2016 and 2017. We have also organised National and International Seminar.
MBA Programme was started in the year 2001 in the University which has been completely under the patronage of the University Department of Commerce & Business Administration.
Bhagalpur is characterized by a backward region in the backward State of Bihar where Industrial activities has very slow progress. Previously Bhagalpur City was known as Silk City. Bhagalpur has not achieved any landmark in the pace of Development. Not a single industrial unit except NTPC Kahalgaon has been promoted in the entire region of Eastern Bihar and particularly in Bhagalpur. In spite of this adversity the Commerce Education in this region got properly in boys as well as girls students. The ratio of boys and girls students enrolled during the last four year is nearly 60-40 ratio of the total strength of 120 intake of this Department.
Regarding the location and layout Department has all favourable amenities. However, lack of space is major hurdle to meet the proper needs of the students as well as the the teachers.
Our Distinguished Alumnus:
- M.H. Khan – Former Chairman, IDBI
- Bimal Kumar Mawandia – Chairman ISEPC
- Prity Shekhar – Deputy Mayor, Bhagalpur
- S.L. Gupta – Director, BIT, Muscat, Oman
- Nawal Kishore – Former Director, IGNOU, New Delhi
- Sushil Pareek – Prof., Royal University, Bhutan
- S.K. Barua – Deputy Registrar, Kolkatta University, Kolkatta
- Ramprakesh Mahto – Former Minister, Govt. Of Bihar
MAJOR FOCUS AREAS
TEACHING : SPECIALIZATION
- Human Resource Management.
- Marketing Management.
RESEARCH : SPECIALIZATION
- Human Resource Management.
- Finance & Marketing.
AT A GLANCE
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.A. (Previous) : 60
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.A. (Final) : 60
- No. of books in the Department Library : 5425
- Journal/Periodicals subscribed by the department : 07
- Computer facility available.
- Ratio of students to teachers : 5:1
- Ratio of research scholars to teachers : 3.5:1
- Admission on the basis of Honours marks and Master’s Admission Test (MAT).
- Total No. Of Publications: 02
- Number of Ph.D thesis guided in last two years – 09
- The department is the second oldest department of Bihar.
- The department has plans to organise “Workshop on Bhagalpuri Silk Export Promotion”.