- Head of the Dept.: Prof. Sanjay Kumar Jha
- Year of Establishment: May,1971
- Built Up Area: 8555 sq. feet
- Level of Study: M.A., Ph.D.
- Sanctioned strength of students:56
MAJOR FOCUS AREAS:
TEACHING & RESEARCH : SPECIALIZATION
- Land use and Agriculture.
- Advanced Geomorphology.
- Environmental Geography.
- Population Geography.
- Geography of Tourism.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
Established in 1971 under the Chairmanship of Prof. (Dr.) K. N. Das, the Deptt. is working as a Centre of P. G. Teaching & Research in the field of advanced Geomorphology, Remote sensing, Land use and agriculture geography, Industrial Geography, Population Geography and Regional Planning. The Deptt. has eminent Professors, rich library, well equipped laboratory and remote sensing lab with then computers. A numbers of teachers like Dr. G. N. Singh & Dr. R. B. Mandal have lectured in countries like U.S.A., U.K., Tanzania, S. Korea, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The teachers of the Deptt. have a number of publications in National and International Journals.
The Department has own building in the Science campus of the University. It has two lecture theatres, Two laboratories, One Remote sensing Lab, Two library rooms, One Computer Lab, One store room, A number of satellite imageries and Aerial photographs, G.P.S. facilities and individual chambers of every faculty members.
AT A GLANCE :
- Engaged, engrossed in teaching and research in Geography since its inception in 1971.
- No. of books in the Department Library : Over 10,000 (Ten thousand).
- Computer, Remote Sensing equipments available in department.
- Ratio of students to teachers : 9:1
- Ratio of Research Scholars to Teachers : 2:1
- Admission on the basis of Honours marks and admission tests.
- Ph.D. Registration on the basis of M.A. (Final) result, Pre-Ph.D. Exam Test.
- No. Of Ph.D. thesis guided during last two years: 06
- The department is successfully running “Certificate Course in Remote Sensing”.
- No. of Journals/ Periodicals in the library: Over Five Hundred.
- No. of Research papers published : More than 200 paper published.