- Head of the Dept.: Dr. Ashutosh Prasad
- Year of Establishment: 1964
- Built Up Area: 2190 sq. ft.
- Level Of Study: M.Sc., Ph. D.
MAJOR FOCUS AREAS:
TEACHING / RESEARCH : SPECIALIZATION
- A major physics department has distinct research groups and expertise both in Theoretical and Experimental fields and they are complimentary to each other.
- In keeping with this tradition the department from its very inception and active faculty member and research groups in both theoretical and experimental fields.
THEORETICAL AREA :
- The Department had a major research group under Prof. P. L. Srivastava, FNASc. in theoretical solid state Physics involving the development of pseudo-potential techniques for calculation of resistively electrical conductivity and thermodynamic properties of liquid metals and alloys. This type of work had its valuable contribution in projecting the physical properties of naval materials (like binary alloys).
- The other research area in theoretical solid state physics under Prof. K. K. P. Srivastava constitutes the study of magnetic interaction, Magnetic-relaxation and nano-particle magnetism, etc. Prof. Srivastava has developed novel theories for (i) the spin lattice relaxation in magnetic ion-pairs 9 diners. (ii) the vibronic coupling in paramagnetic systems, (iii) the super paramagnetic relaxation 9 magnetism in nano-particles.
EXPERIMENTAL AREA :
- The experimental research in Condensed Matter Physics/ Materials Science has been started under the able leadership of Prof. R. Sati. This group has been active in the area of ceramic ferroelectries and high temperature superconductors. The main workers in the team now is Prof. S.N. Choudhary and Dr. Kamala Prasad and they are well trained from the Ferroelectrics laboratory of I.I.T., Kharagpur. They are having active research collaboration with I.I.T. Kharagpur aand BOSE Institute, Kolkata.
- Recently, under the DST project (ongoing) work for modified lead-based neonates have been fabricated with general formula Pb (Mgl-Nb2 JO3 for x = 1/3 and 1/4.
At a Glance
- Engaged in teaching and research since its inception in 1964.
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.Sc. : 40
- Strength of students PGDCA (proposed) : 75
- No. of books in the Department Library : 6000
- Journals/Periodicals in the library: 2000
- Ratio of students to teachers :7:1
- Ratio of Research Scholars to Teachers : 1:1
- Admission on the basis of Honours marks and admission tests.
- Ph.D. Registration on the basis of M.Sc. (Final) result, Pre-Ph.D. Exam Test. Presentation of research theme and seminar.
ADVANCED FACILITIES :
- Characterisation of Materials in Material Research Lab.
- Microwave Laboratory
- L.C.R. Hi-Tester
- Resistively Measurement Setup with Low Temperature Facility
- High Temperature Furnace
- Three – Prism Spectrograph
- one computer lab with 15 pcs
- Two Generator(20 kva,10 kva)
LAB FACILITIES :
- Six M.Sc Labs(OPTICS,Electronics, spectroscopy,Condensed Matter Physics
- Computer labs
- Three Research Lab(Advance ceramic lab,nanomaterials lab,composite lab)