- Year of Establishment: 1956
- Built Up Area: 400 sq. m.
- Level Of Study: M.A., Ph.D., D. Litt.
MAJOR FOCUS AREAS:
TEACHING/RESEARCH : SPECIALIZATION
- The major focus of this Department is to impart PG teaching and research in the fields of Rural Development, Agricultural Development and Co-operation.
- Syllabi of the department has been so structured as to enable the students to develop insights into the problems of rural development in India in general and in eastern region of the country in particular.
- Class room lectures are being supplemented by field level studies for which students are being supplemented by the field level studies for for which students are being trained for using appropriate techniques in the fields of research methodologies and statistical tools.
- Department has also been undertaking doctoral and post-doctoral research on rural, agricultural and co-operatives problems and socio-economic aspects of rural life based on both primary and secondary data.
- Major thrust areas of the Department is:
- Rural Development.
- Agricultural Development Co-operation & Socio-Economic Problem.
- Tribal Economy.
AT A GLANCE :
- Sanctioned strength of students in M.A. (Previous) :40
- No. of books in the Department Library : 3501
- Complementary Copies of Journal/Periodicals in the department : 7
- Ratio of students to teachers :4:1
- Ratio of Research Scholars to teachers :5:1
- Computer facility available
- Number of Ph. D. Thesis guided in last two years – 11
REGULATIONS FOR ADMISSION :
- Notwithstanding contrary to the regulations a candidate who passed 3 year Bachelor from the faculties of science, Social Science, Commerce and Humanity with Honours or with 45% marks in Pass Course is entitled to take admission in Master Previous Examination in Rural Economics & Co-operation.
- A graduate of old course having honours in any of the above faculties and securing at least 35% marks in Economics, Rural Economics & Co-operation, Commerce, Mathematics, Statistics will be eligible for admission in M. A. Rural Economics & Co-operation. However securing of 45% in honours and Pass Course will be essential.
FUTURE ACTION PLAN :
- With its long and vast background in the fields of empirical research at doctoral and post doctoral level and in pursuance of the contemporary national aspirations and thrust for rural development, promotion of co-operative activities and area development approach for the removal of regional imbalances, this department has the following action plan for future development :
- Setting up a Regional Training Centre for Functionaries of Panchayati Raj for Bihar & Jharkhand States.
- Rural Resource & Technology Centre
- UGC Refresher Course Centre for organizing refresher courses for the teachers of Rural Economics, Rural Development, Co-operation and Tribal Economy.